Monday, September 08, 2008

a promised blog and an experiment

Hello Friends!

Me again. As promised here’s another blog entry! It’s more of an announcement really. I’m heading back to South Africa, but you probably already knew that. If you didn’t know it was just a matter of time. Yes, it’s my home away from home. A place and people that I love. Most of you know what I’m about so I won’t go into that and what I’ll be doing there. If you want to know more just go to www.tenthousandhomes.org. The dates of the trip are on the right just so you know. I’ll also be putting up another blog just before I go.

So, I’ll share the backdrop of my heart as I’m preparing for this trip…Jesus once told the story about a Samaritan and Jew. The Jewish man was passed by his countrymen and clergy (or a pastor) essentially his physical neighbors. Then along comes a Samaritan man. Neither of them live in the same country, share interests, water sources, food, or even religions really. They have NOTHING in common. Each was even traditionally hated by the other. Yet, I think it’s a bit like God to use this story to redefine who our neighbor is. After all the 2 greatest commandments are 1.) Love God with everything that is in you and 2.) Love your neighbor as yourself. Hmm. Nice one God!

I’ve been thinking a lot about the idea of “who is my neighbor?” and story telling and how I could pull off melting them together. So for this trip I’ll be doing a bit of interviewing with people who are willing to share their story as well as tell my own with a couple of video blogs, which I’ll try to upload while I’m in Africa. It’s a bit of an experiment, but it’ll be a fun process I hope.

Much love to you all! I’m still incredibly grateful to all of you guys for your faithful friendship, constant support, and just downright caring. Thanks!!!!

Your Friend,
Dave

PS. If any of you are interested in giving toward this trip please send checks to the address at the side. Also, you can try the donate button, but those gifts will not be tax deductible.

No comments: